2010年2月15日 星期一

Trip to Getty Museum

On 5th of February, we attended Getty Museum in LA with my friends. It was my second time went to a formal museum in the United State. I remember my last view trip of a museum already was three years ago for my drawing class. This Getty Museum is even bigger than the one I attended. When we arrived the outer- gate, the view already impressed me. The walls of entrance are built by green plants. Its tone is totally different from the surrounding. I really like the big contrast between the grey, rocky buildings and the fresh, green walls. After we found a parking spot, we still needed to wait for the tram which brought us up to the hill, the actual location of Getty Museum. On the way climbing up to the hill, visitors can see a beautiful sea view and the whole view of LA Downtown. Although it is small and not clear, it is still meaningful to me because I already moved down here for more that one quarters but have never been to LA Downtown once. I am still a newbie of Southern California. Shame on me!







Within a couple minutes, we arrived the front door of the museum. It is a very beautiful, white building. Here is a picture of map. I really like it because it showed all the details of this museum, and one of my hobbies is looking the small model of building.






Later, we entered our first gallery. The theme of that site was “Drawing by Rembrandt & His Pupils.” In there, they analyzed the drawing style and tools used by Rembrandt. They also compared the art works of Rembrandt and his students. All of their arts are drawings of a bible story or portrait. I cannot take picture in that area, so I do not have a chance to record those nice works. I even cannot drop down the main points of Rembrandt’s arts by camera, but I copied them down by my hand. There are four element style of Rembrandt’s drawing: sketchy and suggestive use of line, selective description of details, nuanced expression and gesture, and precise rendering of light. Mostly, Rembrandt did not “finish” the whole picture, and he would leave some areas blank or blurry. He only focused on the parts which can make the theme more outstanding and used the strong light and dark value contrast, selective details, and strong lines to perform them. His works let me remember Impressionism. Both of them also performed an unclear image. Impressionism artists wanted to record their first impression of their eye sight, so their art works are blurry to present their unclear memory as an “impression” but still outstood the theme on the painting. We can also feel the energy, mood, and soul of the artists thorough their painting. Rembrandt’s drawing also got similar feature, but I like his style more because he would focus a specific part on the pictures and let them clearer by using strong line and light and dark contrast. Although Rembrandt’s pupils tried to follow his art style, they cannot surmount their teacher; they cannot copy the Because of the museum policy, I did not have any picture for this part, so I bought two post cards for reference.







After I finished that exhibition, outside the gallery, there was a very big and colorful garden. It is formed by the red and green small trees rings. When I look farer, I can see the ocean and the reflection of sunlight. They formed a very amazing picture.




I really like this museum which built up on the hill because it got a very good sense of art. From the architectural structure of buildings to art selections, their designer and managers dedicated the museum energy and provided a very good environment for visitors who love art. Therefore, everyone inside it got influenced by the passion of various masters and got different inspiration of life.

沒有留言:

張貼留言